Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Free Reduced Price Meals

Applying for Free and Reduced Meals

The guidelines have changed! Click the image below for more information.

Free and Reduced Meals

Federal & Oregon Expanded Income Guidelines (EIG)

Apply for Free and Reduced Meals

National School Lunch program   

Children need healthy meals to learn. SSD offers healthy meals to students every school day. Breakfast costs $2.00; lunch costs K-6 $3.50, Grades 7-8 $3.75, Grades 9-12 $4.00. Your children may qualify for free meals.

A new Confidential Family application for Free & Reduced Meals must be completed at the beginning of each school year (see attachment). 

  1. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals? Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call Michelle Brasmer, 971-200-8003 Ext 3016 if you have questions.
  2. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all of the required information. Return the completed application to: SSD (Michelle Brasmer) 33589 High School Way, Scappoose, OR 97056.
  3. Who can get free meals? Children in households getting Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, TANF or FDPIR can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.
  4. Can foster children get free meals? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court can get free meals. Any foster child in the household can get free meals regardless of income.
  5. Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals? Please call SSD homeless liaison or migrant coordinator to see if your child(ren) qualifies if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.
  6. Who can get reduced price meals? Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Chart.
  7. If my child is eligible for free or reduced price meal benefits, when will the meal benefits begin? Meal benefits for new applications cannot start until an application is approved. Please provide a lunch or money for a paid lunch until you receive notice that the application is approved.
  8. I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals? This can only be determined by completing and submitting the enclosed application for meal benefits. Please fill out an application.
  9. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may also ask you to send written proof of the household income your report.
  10. If I do not qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year.
  11. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Tim Porter 33589 High School Way, Scappoose Or 97056, 971-200-8064.
  12. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced-price meals. Information provided by the household will not be used for immigration-related purposes.
  13. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you. Foster children may be included as household members.  If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.
  14. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.
  15. We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be counted as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
  16. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is combat pay counted as income? Combat pay is excluded if it is received in addition to the service member’s basic pay; because of the deployment, andnot received before being deployed.
  17. My family needs more help.  Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for [State SNAP] or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 2-1-1- or 1-800-SafeNet (723-3638). For food assistance call 1-866-348-6479 (1-866-3-HUNGRY).  In the summertime, Text “FOOD” to 877877 or visit  for free summer meal options in your area.